Friday, February 5, 2010

Starting Tai Chi Again

Well, it looks like I'm connecting to a Tai Chi (taijichuan) class and group again.


I went for the first time to a class run at the Broomfield Rec center by Paul and Elizabeth (don't know their last names yet). Thanks to Kaiser, it's free for me -- not the major consideration, but a nice thing.


They also teach the same style I've been doing -- Chen Man Ching's short form. Their lineage connects more directly to "The Professor" (which is how they always refer to him) than what I've had before, as it runs through Ben Lo, a student of The Professor when he had a school on Taiwan, before going to NYC. I'm not sure how many levels are between Ben Lo and them. It may not matter much, since Ben Lo apparently comes up from his home in CA somewhere to give a seminar in the area, usually in Boulder (not surprising).


Their form is very close to what I've done. They have different names for some of the moves, and there are some variations in how they do some of them. I have a bit of worry there -- one of the most aesthetically pleasing moves seems to have gotten mushed -- but we'll see how it works out.

Anyway, Paul and Elizabeth seem to be OK folks, and they're connected in to the local Tai Chi community, something I value a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing.